Home Sport EFL chief Rick Parry secretly filmed discussing stricken Wigan Athletic

EFL chief Rick Parry secretly filmed discussing stricken Wigan Athletic

EFL caught up in video storm after chief executive Rick Parry is secretly filmed discussing stricken Wigan Athletic as Latics now face 12-point penalty after going into administration

  • EFL chief was secretly recorded discussing the subject with a man in the street 
  • The football body said the video was legitimate but part of a wider conversation
  • On Wednesday, the Championship club were placed in administration 

Rick Parry has been secretly filmed holding a staggering conversation with a Wigan Athletic supporter in which he repeated an astonishing claim about the stricken club’s former owner.

A clip, posted on social media, shows the EFL chairman openly discussing the goings-on at the crisis-hit Championship outfit, which was plunged into administration on Wednesday, with a man in the street.

Parry tells the supporter, who filmed the exchange and with whom Sportsmail has spoken, that there is a rumour with regards to the alleged interests of the club’s former owner and the likelihood of relegation.

EFL chairman Rick Parry has been filmed revealing details about Wigan’s former owner

The EFL acknowledged the video was legitimate, said it was a snapshot of a wider conversation and added that Parry was happy to engage.

Wigan are facing a 12-point penalty which may – in all likelihood – send them down to the third tier. They are currently in 14th place, eight points clear of the relegation zone. On a dramatic day, administrators had earlier said there was a 25 per cent chance that the 2013 FA Cup winners may be unable to fulfil their fixtures.

The fan, who did not wish to be named, said that he approached former Liverpool chief executive Parry as he lives nearby in a Cheshire village and that he felt his fellow supporters deserved answers on the goings-on at the DW Stadium.

While the device which took the video was pointed at the floor, the fan said he took the recording on public land and had not broken any laws. He added that he had tried to speak to Parry on Wednesday, when the devastating news broke, but was told to come back yesterday.

An EFL spokesman last night said: ‘The EFL is aware of a video of its chairman posted on social media last night that discusses recent developments at Wigan Athletic.

The Championship club announced on Wednesday that it had been placed in administration

The Championship club announced on Wednesday that it had been placed in administration 

‘It was part of a much wider and impromptu discussion he was having with a Wigan supporter he does not know but who lives in the same area.

‘The private conversation focused around the events of the last 24-48 hours, how the EFL can assist and what happens next. The various rumours and reports that have been circulating throughout today were also discussed.

‘Whilst the chairman was unaware he was being filmed, he was happy to engage in the debate and appreciates this is a concerning and challenging time for all those associated with the club.’

Parry, 65, took the role last year and is a former chief executive of the Premier League. He may well now face questions over his judgement.

Earlier yesterday, administrators said there was a one in four chance Wigan may not see out the season. If they are unable to play their fixtures, the club will be in danger of folding.

The EFL said that the video of Parry was legitimate, and was a snip of a wider conversation

The EFL said that the video of Parry was legitimate, and was a snip of a wider conversation

Gerald Krasner, one of three administrators, said he expects to unearth an ‘incredible’ financial mess that has brought the Championship club to its knees, and he confirmed that there is no prospect of Wigan’s owners, Next Leader Fund, putting ‘one penny’ in after purchasing the club only last month.

‘If we don’t solve it and sell it, yes, it is as bad as Bury,’ Krasner said. ‘The ultimate sanction is liquidation.’

International Entertainment Corporation, fronted by professional poker player Stanley Choi, sold their stake for £17.5million last month to another Hong Kong-based company, which was majority-owned by the same man at the time of the deal.

Wages are due to be paid today, of which 30 per cent is understood to have been deferred. But Krasner could not guarantee those will be honoured. The club are thought to need in the region of £6m for ongoing costs.

Source link

Vishal Singh
Vishal is The Flick's editor. His interests include product UX designing and search marketing. He can be followed on Twitter at @Vishal7Singh.

Most Popular

Alison Brie “a little pessimistic” {that a} GLOW film will occur

Fans of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling have been left upset this previous month when Netflix cancelled GLOW and scrapped its plans for a...

James Gunn praises David Ayer for his Suicide Squad castings

Warner Bros. and DC Films’ Suicide Squad franchise has been within the headlines usually as of late, what with James Gunn now deep in...