The advantageous people at StudioCanal are releasing the 1980 traditional Flash Gordon on 4K later this yr in a five-disc collector’s version field set. They have now launched a trailer previewing the painstaking restoration coming our approach, in addition to revealing the contents contained throughout the set. This shouldn’t be your normal 4K replace, as it’s filled with bonus options and was supervised by director Mike Hodges personally.
Flash Gordon has by no means appeared so pristine because it does on this new trailer. The film was scanned from the unique 35mm unfavorable to supply 4K information. The job required over 500 hours of guide restoration that included repairing severe harm. The sound was scanned from the unique observe unfavorable, which additionally underwent restore. The film was shade graded for theatrical, house leisure and 4K HDR launch, utilizing earlier digital releases and 35mm prints for reference. Additionally, VFX work was used to take away strings that had been seen in earlier pictures. Mike Hodges had this to say about it in an announcement.
“I’m very grateful to StudioCanal for this brilliant 4k restoration. The restoration captures perfectly the vivid colours of the sets, skies and costumes. It also corrects some of the problems encountered with the special effects system we used. With Chroma key compositing we could insert skies, rocket ships, hawk-men, pretty well whatever we wanted, into the blue backing built into the studio sets. The problems came later when we had to eliminate, for example, the wires used on the hawk-men.”
“We were eventually successful but even then some 35mm prints were variable and the wires would be back again. With this new restoration that problem is thankfully laid to rest. Of course Chroma key is primitive by the side of the current process, CGI (Computer Generated Imaging). That said I’m pleased we stuck with the old fashioned system. CGI would have been too slick. After all Flash Gordon was a cartoon strip from the 1930s brought back to life on celluloid some five decades later.”
StudioCanal didn’t skimp on the products outdoors the restoration. The five-disc set is filled with bonus options, in addition to a 32-page booklet, the unique soundtrack, a feature-length documentary and rather more. Here is the total listing of what is included.
- Flash Gordon Five-Disc Collector’s Edition Contents
- The 4K Blu-ray plus two Blu-ray discs
- Bonus Blu-ray Disc of Life After Flash, the 2017 function documentary celebrating the movie and it is star, directed by Lisa Downs
- Original CD Soundtrack by Queen & Howard Blake
- 32 web page booklet
- 16 web page Titan mini ebook (The Story of Flash Gordon)
- Reproduced booklet of the primary strip of authentic comedian books
- Poster of authentic art work
- four artcards of varied incarnations of Flash movie posters throughout the years
- 1 sew-on ‘Flash patch’
- Disc One – 4K Blu-ray
- Brand new 4K restoration of the movie, supervised and authorized by director Mike Hodges
- New Lost in Space: Nic Roeg’s Flash Gordon (additionally iTunes further)
- Audio commentary with Mike Hodges
- Audio commentary with Brian Blessed
- Behind the scenes of Flash Gordon
- Stills gallery (additionally iTunes further)
- Storyboards gallery (additionally iTunes further)
- Original theatrical trailer
- Disc 2 – Blu-ray
- Interview with Mike Hodges
- Interview with comedian ebook artist Alex Ross TBC
- Interview with screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr. TBC
- Episode 24 of Flash Gordon (1979-1982): The Survival Game / Gremlin’s Finest Hour
- Sam Jones’s appearing begin
- Entertainment Earth on Flash Gordon merchandise
- Bob Lindenmayer discusses deleted scenes and authentic endings
- 35th Anniversary Greenroom
- 35th Anniversary reunion featurette
- Renato Casaro prolonged interview
- Brian Blessed anecdotes
- Melody’s musings
- On the soundtrack (Brian May & Howard Blake)
- Easter Eggs
Flash Gordon stars Sam Jones because the soccer star turned hero, with the legendary Max von Sydow as Ming. Melody Anderson stars as Dale and Timothy Dalton is on board as Prince Barin. The film was tailored from the unique 1930s cartoon of the identical identify. While it wasn’t an enormous hit in its day, it has gone on to realize true cult standing.
Aside from the collector’s version, Flash Gordon 4K may even be launched on Blu-ray, Steelbook, DVD and digital on August 3. Unfortunately, in the intervening time, it is just out there within the U.Okay. however, hopefully, it’s going to get authorized for launch elsewhere down the road. The re-release is obtainable for pre-order now from StudioCanal. Be certain to take a look at the trailer and art work for your self.