Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams has accused the Metropolitan Police of “racial profiling” after she and her partner were stopped and search in front of their baby.
Bianca, 26, and Portuguese sprinter Ricardo dos Santos were handcuffed with their three-month-old baby present on Saturday afternoon.
A video of the incident, which occurred in west London, went viral on social media after it was shared by their trainer and Olympic champion Linford Christie.
They couple felt they were targeted because they are black and drive a Mercedes.
But police responded and said the vehicle had been on the wrong side of the road and refused to stop when asked.
The Met insists there is no evidence of wrongdoing by their officers after Williams’ accusation.
She told the Times: “It’s always the same thing with Ricardo [her partner]. They think he’s driving a stolen vehicle, or he’s been smoking cannabis.
“It’s racial profiling.
“The way they spoke to Ricardo, like he was scum, dirt on their shoe, was shocking. It was awful to watch.”
Christie’s post claimed that “racist police aren’t just in America”.
In a message addressed to the Met Police, Mr Christie wrote: “Two of my athletes were stopped by the police today, both international athletes, both parents of a three-month-old baby who was with them and both handcuffed outside of their home.
“Can Cressida Dick or anyone please explain to me what justification the Met Police officers had in assaulting the driver, taking a mother away from her baby all without one piece of PPE and then calling the sniffer dog unit to check the car over.
“Was it the car that was suspicious or the black family in it which led to such a violent confrontation and finally an accusation of the car smelling of weed but refusing to do a roadside drug test.
“This is not the the first time this has happened. (second time in two months) And I’m sure it won’t be the last but this type of abuse of power and institutionalised racism cannot be justified or normalised any longer.”
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said in a statement: “At around 1.25pm on July 4, 2020, officers from the Territorial Support Group were patrolling in the W9 area in response to an increase in youth violence involving weapons.
“A vehicle with blacked out windows made off at speed from the officers, travelling the wrong side of the road. The officers eventually caught up with the vehicle which was stopped in Lanhill Road, W9. The driver initially refused to get out of the vehicle.
“The occupants, a 25 year-old man and a 26-year-old woman, were informed that they were being detained for the purposes of a search under Section 1 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.
“After a search was conducted on the persons/ vehicle, no arrests were made and the occupants were allowed on their way.
“Each stop is dealt with on its own merits at the discretion of the individual officers involved taking into account various aspects including behaviour and compliance.
“Officers have to make these judgement calls regularly on a daily basis, often in difficult circumstances.
“They understand that their actions will be scrutinised as they go about their work and that the public have the right to hold them to account where appropriate.
“In this instance, officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards Unit have reviewed both footage from social media & the body-worn video of the officers on scene, and are satisfied that there is no concern around the conduct of officers.”